Exluton is oral contraceptive to prevent pregnancy. Exluton contains only one female sex hormone, the progestogen lynestrenol. For this reason Exluton is also called a mini-pill. In contrast to combined pills, mini-pills do not contain an oestrogen hormone in addition to the progestogen.
Indications: oral contraceptive
Side effects: emotional lability (mood swings), depression and depressive mood, migraine, nausea, breast pain, unscheduled uterine bleeding (bleeding between periods), genital tract bleeding (vaginal bleeding). Less common is decrease and loss of libido (reduced or loss of sexual drive). Rare side effects are venouse and arterial thromboembolic events. If you notice any side effects not mentioned, please inform your doctor.
Contraindications: You should not use Exluton if you have any of the conditions listed below. Do not take Exluton:
- if you have thrombosis. Thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot which can block a blood vessel, for example in a leg (deep venous thrombosis) or in the lungs (pulmonary embolism).
- if you have or have had jaundice (yellowing of the skin) or severe liver disease, and your liver function is not yet normal.
- if you have or are suspected to have a cancer that is sensitive to sex hormones, such as certain types of breast cancer.
- if you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding.
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to lynestrenol or any of the other ingredients of Exluton
If anything on the above list applies to you or if any of these situations develop while you are using Exluton, consult your doctor immediately.
Important information: you may need to be kept under close observation if:
- you have or have had breast cancer;
- you have liver cancer;
- you have ever had thrombosis;
- you have diabetes;
- you have ever had a pregnancy outside the uterus (ectopic pregnancy);
- you have or have had an infection of the fallopian tube(s) or have had surgery of the fallopian tube(s);
- you have epilepsy;
- you have high blood pressure;
- you have or have had chloasma (yellowish-brown pigmentation patches on the skin, also called ‘the mask of pregnancy’, particularly on the face); if so, it is advisable to avoid direct exposure to the sun or ultraviolet light.
If any of above conditions appear for the first time, come back or get worse while using the Exluton, you should contact your doctor.
Use and dosage: the Exluton strip contains 28 tablets. On the back side of the strip, the days of the week are printed on the foil, with arrows printed between them. Each day corresponds to one tablet. Each time you start a new strip of Exluton, take a tablet in the top row. Start with the correct tablet. For example, if you start on a Wednesday, you must take the tablet from the top row marked (at the back) with WED. You continue to take one tablet a day until the strip is empty, always following the direction indicated by the arrows. By looking at the back of the strip, you can easily check whether you have taken your daily tablet. Take your tablet at about the same time each day. Swallow each tablet with water. You may have some bleeding while taking Exluton, which may look like a menstrual bleed, but you must continue to take your tablets. When a pack is empty, you must start with a new strip of Exluton on the next day – thus without interruption and without waiting for a period.
Missed dose: follow the below instructions if you have missed the dose
- If you are less than 3 hours late taking a tablet, the reliability of Exluton is maintained. Take the missed tablet as soon as you remember and take the next tablets at the usual times.
- If you are more than 3 hours late in taking any tablet, the reliability of Exluton may be reduced. The more consecutive tablets you have missed, the higher the risk of reduced contraceptive efficacy. Take the last missed tablet as soon as you remember and take the next tablets at the usual times. Use a condom too for the next 7 days of tablet-taking. If you missed one or more tablets in the first week of tablet-intake and had intercourse in the 7 days before missing the tablets, there is a possibility of becoming pregnant. Ask your doctor for advice.
Package Contents: each box of Exluton contains 1 blister with 28 tablets containing 0.5 mg of female hormone lynestrenol
Active ingredient: lynestrenol 0.5 mg
Manufacturer: N.V. Organon, Oss, The Netherlands
Storage: keep Exluton in its calender blister until used. Store at room temperature below 30°C, keep away from direct sunlight and do not refrigerate.