Levothyroxine Sodium 100 Mcg 100 tablets contains Levothyroxine Sodium which is a replacement for a hormone normally produced by thyroid gland to regulate the body’s energy and metabolism. Levothyroxine is given when the thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone on its own.
Levothyroxine treats hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone), hashimoto’s disease, after thyroid removal, tsh suppression, myxedema coma. Levothyroxine is also used to treat or prevent goiter (enlarged thyroid gland), which can be caused by hormone imbalances, radiation treatment, surgery, or cancer.
Indications: Levothyroxine hormonal therapy
Side effects: Levothyroxine is usually well tolerated. Side effects associated with levothyroxine (the active ingredient contained in the product) therapy typically resulted from therapeutic overdosage and included the signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Weight loss, increased appetite, insomnia, anxiety, heat intolerance, diarrhea or increase in bowel frequency, palpitations, hypertension, tachycardia, angina, and menstrual irregularities may be reported. Given the long half-life of levothyroxine, such effects may not be present for several weeks after therapy initiation or dosage increases.
Contraindications: you should not use Levothyroxine Sodium 100 Mcg or consult with your doctor if you:
- have Adrenal Insufficiency. The use of thyroid hormones is contraindicated in patients with uncorrected adrenal insufficiency. Thyroid hormones increase tissue demand for adrenocortical hormones and may precipitate acute adrenal crisis. In patients with controlled adrenal insufficiency or other endocrine disorders, therapy for these concomitant disorders may need to be adjusted following thyroid replacement, since hypothyroidism often obscure or diminish the signs and symptoms of these conditions. Clinical monitoring of thyroid and adrenal function as well as any other appropriate endocrine function is recommended during thyroid hormone therapy.
- have Cardiovascular Disease. Thyroid hormones cause increases in myocardial contractility and heart rate as a result of increased metabolic demands and oxygen consumption. Therapy with thyroid hormones should be administered cautiously and initiated at reduced dosages in patients with cardiovascular disorders such as angina, coronary artery disease, and hypertension. Clinical monitoring of cardiovascular function is recommended. If chest pain or exacerbation of cardiovascular disease occurs, the dosage of thyroid hormone should be reduced, even at the expense of achieving euthyroid state. Thyroid hormones should not be administered to patients with an acute myocardial infarction that is not complicated by hypothyroidism.
- have Thyrotoxicosis. The use of thyroid hormones is contraindicated in patients with untreated thyrotoxicosis of any etiology, since thyroid hormones may exacerbate the condition.
- have Diabetes. Since hypothyroidism often obscure or diminish the signs and symptoms of endocrine disorders such as diabetes mellitus or diabetes insipidus, thyroid replacement therapy may aggravate the intensity of symptoms associated with these conditions. Patients with endocrine disorders should be monitored more closely during thyroid hormone therapy, and their medication regimen adjusted accordingly. If thyroid medication is later discontinued, a downward readjustment of insulin or oral hypoglycemic agent may be necessary in patients with diabetes mellitus to avoid hypoglycemia.
- have seizures problems. Thyroid hormones may alter the seizure threshold. Seizures have been reported rarely following the initiation of levothyroxine therapy. Therapy with thyroid hormones should be administered cautiously in patients predisposed to seizures.
- are taking other medications that may interact with Levothyoxine Sodium 100 Mcg.
Use and dosage: the initial dose is 50 mcg orally once a day. The dosage may be increased in 25 to 50 mcg increments every 2 to 4 weeks. The typical maintenance dose is 100 to 200 mcg orally once a day. For more information please refer to the manufacturer leaflet or consult your doctor.
Package Contents: 100 tablets of Levothyroxine Sodium 100 mcg in each tablet
Active ingredient: Levothyroxine Sodium 100 mcg in each tablet
Storage: store at room temperature away from moisture and heat