OPTICIDE-FC Praziquantel 600 mg contains the active substance of Praziquantel 600 mg. Praziquantel is antihelmintic for the treatment of parasitic infections especially against flukes, adult tapeworms and pulmonary and blood parasites. Praziquantel is also successfully used against hookworms (e.g. Uncinaria stenocephala, Ancylostoma,), roundworms (e.g. Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati, Toxascaris leonina,, Ascaris) and flagellates (Lamblia intestinalis). The effect of praziquantel is also confirmed against Heterophyidae (flukes), Heterophyes Heterophyes, Metagonismus Yokogawai, Fasciola hepatica, Fasciolopsis Buscemi (intestinal parasite), Paragonimidae (lung parasite), Paragonimus westermani, Opisthorchidae, Opisthorhis felineus, Opisthorchis Viverrini, Clonorchis Sinensis, Echinostomatidae (intestinal trematodes) Echinostoma Revolutum, Echinoparyphium, Petasinger, Hypoderaeum, Schistosomatidae (parasite in blood stream), Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma Japonicum.
Indications: antihelmintic for the treatment of parasitic infections
The mechanism of active substance: Praziquantel increases the permeability of cell membranes of parasite for calcium ions. This leads to a contraction of parasites and parasite’s muscle paralysis. Dying parasites are released from their site of action in the host organism into the bloodstream and are destroyed by the reaction of the immune system. It also acts at the level of disturbances of oviposition of parasites.
Use and dosage: oral use with food or just before food
- general dosage – 20 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3x per day for 1 – 3 days
- schistosomiasis (Schistosoma Haematobium, S. Japonicum, S. Mansoni) – 20 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3x per day for 1 – 3 days
- African schistosomiasis – 40 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3x per day or 20 mg per 1 kg of body weight 2x per day for 1 – 3 days
- tapewarms – 5 – 25 mg per 1 kg of body weight 1x per day for 1 – 3 days
- liver tapewarms – 25 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3x per day for 1 – 3 days
- liver flukes (Clonorchis Sinensis, Opisthorchis Viverrini) – 25 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3x per day for 1 – 3 days
Treatment may be repeated after 7 days break.
Side effects: most adverse and side effects occurs due to release of the contents of killed parasites and the subsequent immune response of the host. The heavier the parasitic infection is, the harder and more frequent are side effects. Response to drug Praziquantel correlates with the appearance of parasites in the body.
There may occure the cramps in the abdomen, cramping legs, diarrhea, sweating, fever, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, sleepiness, fatigue, allergic reactions (rash, hives, itching, back pain, myalgia, arthralgia, fever, sweating, cardiac arrhythmia, hypertension) and nausea lasting for a few days (up to 7 days) after ingestion of Praziquantel.
Other drugs interactions:
- Antibiotics – antibiotics Rifampicin reduces plasma concentrations of Praziquantel
- Antiepileptics – Karbamazepin and Fenytoin decreases the bioavailability of Praziquantel
- Antimalarials – Chlorochin decreases the bioavailability of Praziquantel
Contraindications: not suitable for pregnant women during all pregnancy, not suitable for nursing mothers (only after doctor consultation), not suitable for people with pacemaker and people using remedy based on digitalis. Suitable for children and old people.
Active ingredient: Praziquantel 600 mg in each tablet
Package Contents: 10 tablets with active ingredient Praziquantel 600 mg packed by pharmacist in pharmacy plastic bag
Manufacturer: THE MEDICPHARMA CO. LTD., Bangkok, Thailand for PHARMALAND (1982) CO. LTD., Bangkok, Thailand