Yaz is combined oral contraceptive to prevent pregnancy and it is also used for the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris & premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). Each of 24 tablets contains two different female hormones, which are drospirenone (3 mg) and enthinylestradiol (0.020 mg), other 4 tablets are inactive tablets called placebo.
Indications: oral contraceptive, acne treatment preparations
Side effects: emotional lability (mood swings), depression and depressive mood, migraine, nausea, breast pain, unscheduled uterine bleeding (bleeding between periods), genital tract bleeding (vaginal bleeding). Less common is decrease and loss of libido (reduced or loss of sexual drive). Rare side effects are venouse and arterial thromboembolic events. If you notice any side effects not mentioned, please inform your doctor.
Contraindications: you should not use Yaz if you have any of the following conditions:
- if you have or have had in the past a blood clot (thrombosis) in a blood vessels of the leg, lung or other organs
- if you have or have had in the past a heart attack or stroke
- if you have or have ever had a condition that may be a first sign of heart attack or stroke
- if you have a disturbance of blood clotting (for example, protein C defficiency)
- if you have major surgery and your ability to move around is limited for a long period of time
- if you have a type of migraine called “migraine with aura”
- if you have diabetes mellitus with blood vessel damage
- if you have a serious risk factor, or several risk factors for developing thrombosis, this may also be a reason why you cannot use Yaz
- if you have or have had a pancreatitis associated with high levels of fatty substaces in your blood
- if you have jaundice (yellowing of the shin) or have (had) severe liver disease and your liver is not yet working normally
- if you have or have had a cancer that may grow under the influence of sex hormones (e.g. of the breast or the genital organs)
- if you have or have had a liver tumour
- if you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant
- if you are breastfeeding
- if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Yaz
If anything on the above list applies to you, tell your doctor before starting to use Yaz.
Important information: you may need to be kept under close observation if:
- you smoke
- you have diabetes
- you are overweight
- you have a high blood pressure
- you have a heart valve disorder or a certain heart rythm disorder
- you or someone in your close family has had a thrombosis, a heart attack or a stroke
- you suffer from migraine
- you suffer from epilepsy
- you or someone in your close family have or have had high cholesterol or triglycerides
- you or someone in your close family have or have had a breast cancer
- you have a liver or gallbladder disease
- you have an operation, or if your ability to move around is limited for a long period of time
If any of above conditions appear for the first time, come back or get worse while using the Yaz, you should contact your doctor.
Use and dosage: take your tablet at about the same time each day, with some liquid if necessary. Follow the direction of the arrows untill all 28 tablets have been taken. Doing this, you use all pink tablets first, and then continue with the white placebo tablets. A period should begin during the 4 days that you use the placebo tablets (the withdrawal bleed). Usualy it will start on day 2-3 after the last pink tablet. Start taking your next pack immediately after the last placebo tablet, even if your period continues. This means that you will always start new packs on the same day of the week, and also that you have your withdrawal bleed on about the same days, each month.
Missed dose: if you miss a dose of Yaz tablets, take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose. If you forget to take a tablet for more than 12 to 24 hours, irregular bleeding may occur.
Package Contents: 1 calendar pack of 28 tablets, 24 tablets with female hormones (Drospirenone, Ethinylestradiol) each, 4 tablets with lactose only (placebo tablets) – total 28 tablets in one box.
Active ingredient: drospirenone 3 mg and enthinylestradiol 0.020 mg (24 tablets), lactose (4 tablets)
Manufacturer: Bayer Weimar GmbH und Co. KG, Weimar, Germany
Storage: keep Yaz in its calender blister until used. Store at room temperature below 30°C, keep away from direct sunlight and do not refrigerate.